Tuesday, May 8, 2012

As I have loved you, love one another...

If I disagree with you it doesn't mean I hate you. If I don't approve of your behavior, your choices or your particular lifestyle, it doesn't mean I'm prejudiced. It means I have an opinion. We all have our vices, our private and public sins. We all fall short of what our creator wants for us. God gives us guidelines on how to live in a way that is best for our own good, and in multitudes of ways we each choose to go against His wishes. I'm not condoning sin, so please don't think that's my message here. Just because we all sin doesn't make it ok. But we are also called to love sinners, which in all cases is everyone of us, and despise the sin. So, no matter what the sin is, the one who sins, again all of us, is to be loved with a Christ-like love.  Nowhere does God say that cruelty, meanness, or disrespect is ok. Nowhere does God say its ok to bully, tease or hate someone who is different than you are. We are simply to love them as Christ loves us. So no matter how you feel about a particular sin, remember that God loves us sinners unconditionally. It is possible to disagree with a lifestyle choice yet still treat the person with decency, love and understanding. The bible is very clear, purposefully, about the definition of marriage, and it is also clear about loving your neighbor as yourself. When deciding what's right or wrong, the bible is the final authority in my life, period. But also understand this, we are all created by God, loved by God, and each human being deserves to be treated with basic, human decency. Whether you are a drunkard, a liar, a thief, whether you curse every other word, cheat on your taxes, gossip about your neighbor, ignore the presence of your creator, or you're a drug addict. Whether your mean, nasty, rude or crude, sexually immoral or kill, God still loves you and expects us to love each other. So, I say all that to say this, I believe in marriage as defined by the bible, and if you don't, we'll that's between you and God. But this I promise, I may disagree with your choices but I will still treat you with human kindness, decency and love. Because God loves me, even with all my faults and sins,  I will show you love.  What kind of hypocritical biggot would I be if I judged myself better than, or more deserving of that, than you?     John 13:34 A new command I give to you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 

1 comment: