Friday, May 17, 2013

Are You Disciplined?

Discipline....a word that many of us equate with punishment or consequences.  Yet, it also has another meaning.  When you say a musician or singer is very "disciplined", it means that they study and work very hard at what they do.  Most of us can say we are "disciplined" in something.  Perhaps you are a very disciplined teacher.  Perhaps you are a very disciplined runner, or physician, or student.  You could even be a very disciplined video game player, although I don't recommend wasting all your time doing that. Some people have made a career out of testing video games for companies, and surely they must be disciplined in the art of video gaming to do so.  So, at what are YOU disciplined?  What do you spend most of your time doing?  What are you perfectionistic about?  For me, I'd say my list is rather short.  There are very few things I'm perfectionistic about, unless you count the way I fold towels, but perhaps that's just more obsessive compulsive than disciplined.  I could list singing, parenting, my job...but in the long run those things are not the most important.  What I really want to be disciplined at is showing love, encouraging others, helping others, and giving joy to others.  As I think about it, all those things can be accomplished simply by being "disciplined" in God's word.  If you let His words truly sink into your soul; if you let His words truly become a part of who you are, understand them for yourself, believe them to be true, and have faith that what He said, He will do, then all those other things will fall right into place.  When you are disciplined at something, you are confident, strong and secure.  Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all were confident in showing love to each other, strong in encouraging each other through the tough times, and so secure in the joy of the Lord that it just oozes out of use and infuses everyone we touch?  That's the kind of discipline I long for, the kind that continually brings me closer to my God, the kind that can set me free from the worries of this world, and enable me to accomplish more than I ever dreamed.  Which leads me to a  favorite quote from one of my favorite people..."Discipline gives me the foundation that leaves me free to fly.  If I really know what I'm doing then I can soar."  ~ Julie Andrews

Let that be my goal, to be so disciplined in God's word and ways, that I am set free to soar, to do and to be all that He wants me to do and be.

Joshua 1:8:Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.





No comments: