Monday, July 30, 2012

Facing a Giant?

Have you ever had to face a giant?   I’ve been there, and I wish I could say that I didn’t run away, but I did for a while.  It was just better, I thought, to run away and not deal with it.  After all, I hadn’t caused it....so why should I be the one to deal with it, to “get over it” and move on?  Yes, it was much more comfortable to avoid dealing with it.  But, the fact was....it was STILL there.  It never left.  Always nagging at the back of my mind as something unfinished, something that should have been fixed.  Maybe not now, but eventually you get to a point where you long for resolution.  You NEED it, even if the result is not what you expected.  I did eventually face that giant head on because I couldn’t stand to be thought of as the one who ran away....the weak, scared one....because I’m not that at all.  I faced it determined that what I needed to do was to simply forgive, because I knew without a doubt that is what God wanted me to do.  It’s a life lesson our children need to learn early.  Face that giant, don’t run from it.  You are a child of the MOST HIGH GOD.  You are not insignificant.  You are not weak.  You are immeasurably important to God and He will never leave your side, even when the going gets tough and you feel like running away.  It’s something I’ve tried to teach my children, and definitely something to think about, no matter how old you are.  Facing a giant brings about character, wisdom, and most importantly of all dependence on God.

Noah could have run away when God told him to build the ark.  But he didn’t.
Abraham could have run away when God asked him to sacrifice his only son.  But he didn’t.
David could have run away when he saw the giant.  But he didn’t.
Joshua could have run away when God told him to march around Jericho 7 times.  But he didn’t.
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego could have just bowed down.  But they didn’t.

Jesus could have given up, and refused to take the punishment for our sins on the cross.

But He didn’t.   



"Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9, NIV).



By: Amy York

No comments: